International Students

This page is intended to provide useful information for our international students regarding your stay in the United States, studying in our University and whom to contact when questions and concerns arise. Please, visit our national website as well to review what questions have already been answered:  International Student section.

The International Student Advisor will assist international students with questions and concerns.

Chicago - Loop Campus students: Sameer Ashraf at
Chicago - Campbell Campus students: Albert Gutierrez at
Addison Campus students: Bill Tsihlopoulos (D.S.O) at

The Designated School Official (D.S.O.) for Chicagoland is Matthew Johnson - Chicagoland Group Manager of Student and International Services.

If you need to meet with Matt, please email him at to set up an appointment at any one of the Chicagoland campuses or centers.

Useful Links/ Q&A/ Forms

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services  Applicants/Students cannot work off-campus legally in the US without permission from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. International students are able to work on campus, 20 hours per week, with permission of the Institute. Please visit the U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services page for more information.

OPT Optional Practical Training is directly related to an F-1 student's major area of study, OPT training provides you with practical experience in your field of study during or upon completion of your degree program.

Nonimmigrant Visa - This document provides you great insight on how to extend your nonimmigrant stay in the United States.

I-94 - Through the official website of the Department of Homeland Security, you can obtain your most recent I-94 document. This document is proof of legal visitor status. You may also need it to show your history of arrivals & departures.

SEVIS Records - Visit this page to read more about the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). SEVIS is used to issue Forms I-20, to transfer student records to other institutions, fulfill school's legal reporting responsibility regarding students addresses, course of study, enrollment, employement and compliance with the terms of the student status etc.

Vacation Request form Complete and submit this form to your Designated School Official (DSO) or Point of Contact (POC) for review and approval prior to a break in your enrollment for vacation. As an F-1 visa student, you must have successfully completed 2 semesters of full-time enrollment at DeVry University and since your last vacation period (if any) before you are eligible for an approved vacation period. Submission of this request is not a guarantee of approval of a vacation period. Failure to receive proper approval before a break in your enrollment for vacation will result in a termination of your F-1 visa status.

Contact Information Update form Complete this form and submit to your Designated School Official for your personal contact information to be updated in your SEVIS record and DeVry University systems. F-1 visa students are responsible for maintaining accurate personal contact information on file with their Designated School Official at all times. Any change in this information must be reported no later than 10 days after when the change occurs.

Please note:
All international students must meet University Admission requirements. If you are seeking information on how to become a student at DeVry University, please visit the main page get you started.



DeVry Chicago Campus Community Web Site Home | Student Central | Student Services | Academics | Campus Info | Financial Info | Admissions | Career Services | Community Outreach | Chicago O'Hare Center | Gurnee Center